Wednesday, July 13, 2005

20 things to check for when revising your essay

Does your thesis statement adequately state your main idea?

Does the thesis statement contain an opinion about the main idea?

Does the thesis statement indicate the structure of your essay; that is, does it contain your controlling ideas?

Is the thesis statement the last sentence in your introduction?

Do your supporting ideas (topic sentences) show your attitude towards the main idea?

Are your topic sentences connected to the thesis statement?

Do you have good supporting details that are connected to the topic sentences and the main idea?

Do you have enough supporting details?

Do you need more examples?

Is there enough evidence in your essay to support your main idea?

Is the evidence you have used convincing?

Are your main body paragraphs long enough?

Are all the paragraphs logially connected to each other?

Do the sentences flow together?

Do you need transitions to make the sentences clearer?

Is the purpose of your essay obvious?

Are you able to convey your message to the reader?

Is your introduction interesting? Will it make people what to read your essay?

Does your conclusion start with a strong concluding statement?

Is your conclusion convincing?

Does your conclusion end with three or four added thoughts or comments that are connected to your topic?

1 Comments:

At 9:58 PM, Blogger Uka said...

Haha, yes, Scott is dancing in my head, too!!! He is still dancing cheerfully!
It was great to hear from you, Scott!! I enjoyed my 3day trip to Melbourne, and days in Melbourne and Sydney too! I wish I could see you and talk bout this trip more.
My next, and the last semester starts in August, and new international students are coming into the Student Village today! How exciting! But It makes me nervous at the same time coz Im so shy girl, you know.
Well, I will keep posting bout my life in Australia, so feel free to visit my blog, and ya comments are always welcome!
Ok, I will go off... I have to go shopping for my dinner. Guess what? 5months have passed since I started cooking my meals... Im not sure if my cooking has improved..maybe not! haha..
Talk to ya soon!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home