Thursday, May 05, 2005

I now realise that I should have made one blog for all my classes, because I wrote all about my Golden Week holiday in my other blog and now I don't want to repeat myself! That means, if anyone is curious about what I did this past week, they're going to have to check out my other blog.

  • After 20 Years, Whale Returns to Wakayama School Lunches


  • Anyway, I guess this is supposed to be my serious blog where I tackle global issues. You know, I felt my blood pressure rising again this morning while I was reading the paper. The lastest thing to disturb me is the matter of serving whale meat in school lunches:
    I guess it saddens me that there are people in the world that think it is necessary to kill whales for food, when there are other perfectly good alternative protein sources. Those in favour of eating whale argue that it is part of Japanese culture, and that the international ban on whaling is disrespectful of Japanese culture. The point is though, that culture changes. It was once the culture in my country to wear fur, shoot native people, hang criminals, put homosexuals in jail, pay women less pay for equal work, and denie women the vote . . . but things change. I am not even pointing this out from a position of righteousness as Canada continues to do such barbaric things as club baby seals to death every year. The point is that things can change. The baby seal fur trade will end when enough people realise the cruelty and pointlessness of it, just as hunting whales is not necessary. Contrary to some Japanese goverment figures, whale populations are not thriving. They are in danger. Once they whales are gone, they won't be coming back. Now is the time to do something about it before it is too late.

    1 Comments:

    At 2:25 AM, Blogger Uly said...

    To me, hunting whales for food is not cruel if people do not waste them. I know the ways we think about this issue is completely different from its roots, but to me, people like cattles, and eat them, and people like whales, and eat them. I also know for sure that the reason of the terrible decreasing of whales number is USA.I love dolphins and whales as animals, but I do not feel any guilty when I eat whales. It is just not a thing to feel guilty or sth to me. but I am soory to say this to you, Scott! You may be quite upset, but now I am gonna ask you for some help for my presentations!!

     

    Post a Comment

    << Home