Tuesday, April 19, 2005

I can't stop thinking about the protests in China. I blogged about it a lot in my other blog (www.kansaigaidaienglishtwo.blogspot.com). I found this poem on the internet, and I hope the author doesn't mind if I put it in my blog. It really made me think.

Dried Cuttlefish on a Persimmon Tree

by Nishimori Shigeo

When he was taken to China as a young soldier,
the first education was to stab a Chinese prisoner of war with a bayonet.
He was tied up to a persimmon tree and stabbed by forty-seven Japanese soldiers
who stood in a row one by one.
When N couldn't stab him, he was slapped on the cheek.
He was told, "Are you really a Japanese soldier?" in an angry voice.
He tried to stab him with set teeth closing his eyes.
He shivered and the point of the bayonet hit the air.
It grazed him.
The Chinese man was hanging like dried cuttlefish by the time
forty-seven soldiers finished stabbing him.
N stabbed him with his eyes open for the second time.
But both times it was as if the sky was suddenly overspread
with dense clouds, and the thunder rolled.
We shouldn’t do bad things, he murmured.
Whenever he saw a persimmon tree, it reminded him of the Chinese young man.

(Nishimori Shigeo, Partisan Before Dawn, Kochi: Grass Roots House, 1995, 74-175)

3 Comments:

At 4:36 AM, Blogger Uka said...

Ohh this is what Japanese did... I wanna visit the website of this poem.
I also see blogs when I don feel like studying! so recently I check blogs sooo frequently!
Im researching bout Mexico for my assignment of tourism class. Its getting interesting. I will blog about it later...maybe someday!

 
At 5:54 AM, Blogger Uka said...

I think Chinese people in HK or Vietnam boycott japanese...therere people who have their origin in China. Also Japan has a problem with Korea---Takeshima Mondai. Japan and Korea are scrambling for dominium of Takeshima. Just like Japan and Russia are scrambling for dominium of northern islands located between Japan and Russia.

 
At 8:03 AM, Blogger Uly said...

Your students really love blogging! I am very happy to receive lots of comments from your students! They seem to be so nice^^. I hope they continue checking my blog, and post their comments there! Thanx^^!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home