Saturday, April 16, 2005

It's Sunday, and I'm sitting at home thinking about doing some work for school. Whenever I don't feel like doing any work, the first thing I always do is check out my blog. Blogging is so great because I can feel like I am working, when I am actually enjoying myself too!

I just bought a new BBQ! I can't wait to try it out. I think the first thing I am going to make is barbecued chicken wings. My BBQ was really cheap, and I noticed that it was made in China. It seems like everything is made in China nowadays. I just hope that it wasn't made by slave labour. I always feel a pang of guilt whenever I buy anything from China because each time I buy something from China I think about Tibet, or human rights abuses, or people who are paid slave wages in clothing sweatshops. The problem is that I keep on buying stuff. But on the other hand, I don't think there were any Japanese made BBQ's in the store, and there certainly weren't any Canadian BBQ's there.

I have been thinking about China a lot lately. There was a lot in the news today about the anti-Japanese protests in China this weekend. It's front page news in the Canadian newspapers (www.globeandmail.com). I wonder what my IES students think about the protests in China. Any comments?

2 Comments:

At 4:32 AM, Blogger Uka said...

hmmmmm....I agree with Akemi's teacher..Actually Japanese students have not learned this complicated relationship b/w China and Japan. I wish I could have learn about it more during compulsory education. People should learn from history, but in my opinion, raising the degree of recognition about this king if matter is more important than some of what Japanese students are learning in history classes. Its more meaningful for our future. Also I feel sorry for lavors in sweatshops in southeast asian countries.. sometimes I feel we--consumer of stuffs from these countries, are greedy...because we might help to make lavors' working condition worse by keep purchesing cheap stuffs from these coutries.

 
At 10:11 PM, Blogger aoba said...

When there are conflicts or problems bw Japan and China, I always think "why do Chinese people so hate us?" Some Asian countries still get angry with Japanese what Japanese did to Asian people during the Wars, but I am not the people of that time, I didn't anything bad directly to them, still should I have to make apology to them? i do not get it. while I am thinking such things, I do not know about the history very much. Then, I think the problem is not the old things, we should learn why they are getting angry? what did Japanese do to them, and then what should we do now, I should learn this now. However, there are many views when teaching somebody something complicated, just like World War. China thinks this and Japan thinks that-----well, I think this remais problem still. Anyway, both of us Japan and China, should try to know about and learn each other what one is thinking. I think.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home